Thursday, January 04, 2007

That's a lot of stamps!

Well, Happy New Year! I know I'm a little late but I've been a little lazy about my blogs so far in 2007.

I am excited about the 120 letters I've sent out in the past two weeks. I'm praying I have some positive response from the churches that I'll be calling next week and the week after. It's a lot of my least favorite thing- talking on the phone, but it's entirely necessary and I'm resigned to the fact that I must do it if I ever want to get to Vienna.

I've been really excited about going to Vienna the past couple of weeks. Ever since I got the time frame for potential departure it's really boosted my desire to get my butt in gear and get out of the country. Plus, I really miss being involved in active ministry. Right now I'm helping with the youth group at my church but I sit around and make sure kids don't kill each other, break things or make babies. I miss teaching the children's classes that I had been involved with before I started itinerating and since the youth pastor couldn't depend on my being there every week I am not getting to teach a small group with the youth like I did in the past.

I'm also really excited about an opportunity I've been given to make money to put toward Vienna. The daycare director at my church found out I knew American Sign Language and offered me an opportunity to come in as a consultant for the daycare and teach their teachers how to sign so that they could use it on a daily basis in their lessons with the kids. This is an amazing opportunity and I'll get to do something I love to make money for Vienna.

I'm also looking at becoming a substitute teacher in a local high school because I really need the cash to try and finish paying off my credit cards. Plus I have way too much time on my hands and find myself being lazy and lackluster about most of what I do. Subbing would be convenient because I could decline the work if I already have something scheduled for that day. The downside is if you do that too many times they stop calling you and I'm fairly sure any class I was in charge of would find me less than intimidating.

Finally, I'm thinking about volunteering one day a week either with a local food bank or something. I'm not really sure but I do know I need to do something here since I'm willing to give the next two years of my life somewhere else.

No comments: