Monday, October 23, 2006

An interesting dilemma...

So, I'm not sure who actually reads this but I figure it might come in handy to have some day (the blog as a whole, not this particular blog). Anyway, my fundraising is sort of stuck. No more churches have been scheduled, I need to send letters to a few, but over all I'm just sort of drifting in the waters. I don't know if I should keep contacting places that haven't returned my calls or if I should sit back and wait for them. I have to say, very honestly, I hate fundraising.

Not because it's hard, or because it can be tedious, just because I hate having to ask over and over for money. I don't really care much about money and so now it's a major focus in my life and it seems very strange. I'm raising the money to do the work God is calling me to in Vienna, but I don't like this part of the job.

I do have some funny stories I've picked up while trying to raise the budget (like driving for 4 hours the day after I got home from Africa to attend a church's missions banquet. I get to the town, find the hotel, which the church graciously paid for, and check-in. I haul all my stuff up to my room and open the door and there's no bed in the room. The hotel is remodeling and I've been given a room that is still under construction. So I have to haul all my junk down to the main floor and ask for a different room. I'm starting to feel the jet-lag and the junk I'm carrying around. The problem was fixed quickly but I thought it was very funny I got put in a room with no bed) and I have experienced the goodness of God's provision and the willingness of Christians and non-Christians to give, but man is it hard to do this day after day and not get weary...

I want to do my part and put the work in to raise this money, but I have no ideas for fundraisers, I have to start asking family and friends personally to sponsor me. The response has been great from my friends and family so far, but they have literally just been offering their support. Now I have to seriously look at contacting all these people I know and ask them for money. I don't want to do it. I'm scared, and I couldn't really tell you why.

That's what I'm thinking and feeling right now. I'll try to make my next story a bit funnier, and it might be if I wait a couple of weeks. I'm scheduled for a service at a church pastored by former missionaries. I heard from a friend who remembers them being at her church itenerating that the wife does a bird-whistle-song native to the country in Africa they were missionaries in. I'm thinking about asking her if she still remembers it...

2 comments:

Keldog said...

hey lovely lady! so glad to hear about your support raising fiascos. i say so glad, bc i've been there. i know exactly how you're feeling. and it's not fun. yet i know and you know, that the Lord wants you to do this. it's your job to pray and ask people and God will do His job, lead you to people and put it on their hearts to support you. know that i'm praying for you and that with God ALL things are possible. i say this, not to put a band-aid on the hardships/pains of support raising, but only 'cause i know it's the real deal. heck...i'm in norway...how in the world did i get here??? i ask myself this many times a day. For HE IS GOOD! HIS love endures, and He loves you so much! He WILL PROVIDE!! be blessed my dear becca ray!

Emma said...

Hey Becca! Ditto to Kelly. It can be hard, and frustrating. But there are more people than you realize interesting in hearing the vision God has called you to, the way He is working in your life, and the dreams He has for Austria. Keep sharing these things, and the Lord will provide the money. It's your job to pray, share the vision, and ASK! Keep it up! Can't wait to see you in Europe.